What do those buttons do?
1. Reply: Reply to the poster. Your followers will see it if they follow someone mentioned. These show in your profile "Toots and replies" feed.
2. Boost: shares the toot with everyone that follows you.
3. Favorite: The poster is notified and you get added to the favorite count. Find these in your personal Favorites list.
4. Bookmark: Adds the toot to your personal Bookmark list (poster is not notified).
Day 5 - #100DaysToOffload
What are some awesome Vim plugins?
My short list:
- Vim Airline (https://github.com/vim-airline/vim-airline)
- Supertab (https://github.com/ervandew/supertab)
- FZF (https://github.com/junegunn/fzf.vim)
- Signify (https://github.com/mhinz/vim-signify)
- Fugitive (https://github.com/tpope/vim-fugitive)
🎉 Welcome to newcomers! 🎉
A few personal tips:
👌 the Fediverse is NOT twitt*r! enjoy a more relaxed, courteous, benevolent way of interacting! you are part of it!
🤚 introduce yourself! also fill bio and post a couple "toots" before following people to have more chance they'll follow back..
👍 favourite and follow generously! This is how to create link around. No algorithm-god is spying on you, telling you who to follow, what to read! \o/
⚠️ many people care about CW... learn about that
Day 4 - #100DaysToOffload
A good favicon can give your site a little more personality and flair.
To make a simple icon pick two colors, a Unicode "geometric shape" character, and a simple shape (square, circle, or rounded square). The simple shape is your container in one color and the Unicode character is centered inside in the other color.
Now your site has a unique visual identifier (with the right meta tags it will show up here)!
Like this https://tuckerchapman.com
Day 3 - #100DaysToOffload
If you are not already using a password manager you should. Switching to a password manager is a paradigm shift. Instead of memorizing passwords you should manage them.
There are tons of great password managers out there (many are open source). I use #KeePassXC (https://keepassxc.org). My database is stored locally and synced with #syncthing. Set a strong master password (https://xkcd.com/936) and make sure none of your passwords are reused.
Hey #fosstodon can anyone tell me what the criteria for a status showing in my feed when it is a reply to another one?
I thought all replies show to your followers but looking into it more that doesn't seem to be the case. I have a small sample size though. I think it might be when the "reply" (at) mentions someone else that I follow but I'm not entirely sure.
For future reference
1. 3 and 4 are operands so you add them to the stack [3, 4]
2. + is an operator so you pop two numbers from the stack and operate (add them together) then put the result back on the stack 
3. 5 and 2 are both operands so add them to the stack [7, 5, 2]
4. - is an operator so you pop two numbers and operate then add the result to the stack [7, 3]
5. * is an operator so you pop two numbers and operate then add the result to the stack 
I did a HackerRank quiz for a job today. I had 30 minutes to implement a Reverse Polish Notation calculator... Everything I thought I knew about arithmetic is a lie... For example
3 4 + 5 2 – *
Calculates to 21
It looks like (3 + 4) * (5 – 2) in infix Notation (or the arithmetic you learned in elementary/primary school)
It's done (I think). Here's how to build a Jekyll site using Simple.css
Day 2 - #100DaysToOffload
CLI programs are everywhere in Linux. Most have man pages or help text but these can be confusing. If all you want to know is how to enter a valid `tar` command (https://xkcd.com/1168/) you can use https://tldr.sh!!
Install one of the many `tldr` clients or use the webpage. Simply run `tldr tar` and a nicely formatted list of commands and what they do will be output.
The lists are community maintained and can be found at https://github.com/tldr-pages/tldr
I am normally a quiet person online and I like to take my time to write blog posts. However, you can say quite a bit with 500 characters so I think I will do the #100DaysToOffload challenge here.
I make no promises that toots will come everyday but it might be fun to think of something useful to say everyday(ish) with an end goal in mind.
Today's tip: #Vim is a modal editor. If you are stuck hit <esc> a few times and :q<enter> to exit. If that didn't work reboot the computer.
Post 4 for my #100DaysToOffload
This time I go through all the plugins currently in my vimrc.
No new #100DaysToOffload post for today but I did give my blog a facelift. New fonts and styles. I also added some new content to my most popular post https://tuckerchapman.com/2018/06/16/how-to-use-the-vim-leader-key/
Day 3: #100DaysToOffload Step-by-step instructions to get connected to your Roland digital piano via Bluetooth https://tuckerchapman.com/2020/05/11/roland-fp-30-bluetooth/
FOSS enthusiast who also loves geology, birding, fingerstyle guitar, and blues/jazz piano.
Fosstodon is an English speaking Mastodon instance that is open to anyone who is interested in technology; particularly free & open source software.