Hi everyone! I am an Italian physicist but also a free software enthusiast. Glad to be here! #introductions
"Can I fully control my Android phone?": No, you can't.
– in our tests, AFWall+ leaked DNS queries of all apps on the device (including blocked apps), making it easy to determine apps installed on the phone
– updating Android doesn't imply that firmware vulnerabilities get fixed
– apps from F-Droid/Play Store etc. can still leak personal data as shown in our /e/ article
– besides, your proprietary baseband processor, GPS, sensors etc. remain out of control
"Is LineageOS without Google apps 100% Google-free?": No, it isn't.
– some LOS services like NetworkMonitor still connect to Google (https://github.com/LineageOS/android_frameworks_base/blob/lineage-16.0/services/core/java/com/android/server/connectivity/NetworkMonitor.java)
– some settings like the phone's DNS server can still send data to Google
– besides, LOS, many apps, and the whole internet heavily rely on libraries, protocols, and standards (e.g. HTTP/2, Certificate Transparency) developed by Google, so there will never be a "100% Google-free something" for average users
Reaching out to my Mastodon family for some recommendations. I'm looking to pickup some blue light blocking glasses (non-prescription) for general PC usage. My eyesight is still solid but, my eyes do seem get fatigued due to years of staring at a monitor during work and personal time. Some models run $20 while other are $200. Other than pure style preference, does anyone have an opinion as to the quality of some brands over others? Any personal experience?
This conversation should be mandatory reading for all 12-15year olds.
Kids at school keep hatin iPhones or Android, depending on what they have. What we need to realize is that everyone has different needs.
I enjoy tinkering with my phone. So I got an android and Lin'd it. I got many iPhone friends who love the simplicity.
Use what you feel comfy with, sure, be open to suggestions, but IT'S YOUR DAMN PHONE.
Side note: if you are my ages IE creeping towards middle age like a slug on a cabbage leaf, please please listen to younger people (ethnicity, skin colour, sexuality, gender expression etc)& support the shit out of them! It's our job!
My granddad said a thing about racism I still remember:
"Young people get to do dumb shit, thats the point of being young - but if you're old you've had time to learn and have no excuse being an arse! Never respect age if it comes with a side order of ignorance!"
It is proven! I am kevq on Keybase: https://keybase.io/kevq/sigchain#95333e185023f5fb086abaa7cc4e85876014912e9be5d83a178df3b34559638b0f
@tootapp I seem to be having an issue when looking at the local timeline via the app. The local timeline is showing the federated timeline. When I go into the fed timeline, it shows the local timeline.
We’re Mastodon 2.8 could that be the reason?
FYI folks, #GameOfThrones spoilers will result in an instant ban!
Joking aside, if you post spoilers, please put them behind a CW. 👍
Look at this sexy Fosstodon sticker by yours truly! LOOK AT IT! BASK IN ITS RADIANT ADORABLENESS!!!
In the near future one just like it can be yours if you're a Fosstodon supporter (and why wouldn't you be?)
Check @mike or @kev s accounts in the near future about how you too can have the cutest laptopsticker ever made
Admin of Fosstodon. Part time geek, full time idiot.
Opinions are my own.
Fosstodon is a Mastodon instance that is open to anyone who is interested in technology; particularly free & open source software.