Surveillance capitalism is the same as climate change, but for data:
- Some people have been warning about its consequences for years
- Most people don't care because they don't feel concerned, they can't see it affecting them
- A few companies are making a lot of damage with the help of governments
- When we will face the consequences it will be too late
- We can still do something about it, and the sooner the better
Perhaps I made a mistake mentioning text editors as example, since editors are a "special" topic :)
But yeah, it is much more complicated task to make a quality GUI tool/application than a text/cli counterpart.
I have this feeling that perhaps our GUI based application ecosystem is failing.
For instance text editors. Vim and emacs are dinosaurs that should be long be gone. What is amodern replacement? Electron based jokes like VSCode?! Please, no.
It looks to be very plausible to me that the way forward is actually to take things backward.
curl help remodeled https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2020/09/04/curl-help-remodeled/ - Starting now, "curl --help" works the way you'd want it to! =)
How Google Tracks Your Personal Information
Today, Google provides marketers like me with so much of your personal data that we can infer more about you from it than from any camera or microphone.
A plea to anyone that believes in the return to a non-monopolistic free and decentralized internet.
Call out the hypocrisy of "open source" or "privacy respecting" organizations that continue to support as first class citizens, corporate platforms. If they truly believe in change, let them behave that way.
The maintainer of harfbuzz got fucking black bagged by Iran and they're threatening his friends and family
Goodbye browser, maybe goodbye Ubuntu?
Ubuntu chose to use snap for chromium, and that breaks so much for me: Again no passwords, no file access, no migration, no addons? Thanks, I am done and gone.
I immediately have to switch to an alternative browser.
For now I'll try with chrome, keeping FF as a backer (as it has always been). And try to use a browser-independent credential store (keepassxc).
Unfortunately Ubuntu forces users into non-free software (also their snap store is non-free).
Also, as a maintainer you're used to hearing your project being criticized all the time, because people usually only take the time to mail you when they're facing a problem they can't solve.
Sometimes, just sometimes, someone will send you a short, sweet mail saying "Hey, I'm using this and it's great. Thank you for making this!".
Be that kind of positivity in life! ❤️
Exact numbers and sources:
* 2018: 2 458 350 USD
* 2017: 2 294 667 USD
* 2016: 1 054 536 USD
* 2015: 977 382 USD
* 2014: 994 000 USD
* 2013: 763 091 USD
* 2012: 661 811 USD
* 2018: https://assets.mozilla.net/annualreport/2018/mozilla-2018-form-990.pdf
* 2017: https://assets.mozilla.net/annualreport/2017/mozilla-2017-form-990.pdf
* 2016: https://assets.mozilla.net/annualreport/2016/2016_Mozilla_Foundation_Forms_990_Public_Disclosure.pdf
* 2015: https://static.mozilla.com/moco/en-US/pdf/2015_Mozilla_Foundation_Forms_990_Public_Disclosure.pdf
* 2014: https://static.mozilla.com/moco/en-US/pdf/2014_Mozilla_Foundation_Fed_990_Public_Disclosure.pdf
* 2013: https://static.mozilla.com/moco/en-US/pdf/2013_Mozilla_Foundation_Fed_990_Public_Disclosure.pdf
* 2012: https://static.mozilla.com/moco/en-US/pdf/2012_Mozilla_Form_990-Public_Disclosure.pdf
So, should I start planning what to use instead of #firefox?
Mozilla laying off 1/4 of staff https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/08/11/changing-world-changing-mozilla/
Confusingly COVID-19 is blamed, but I don't understand how that could be the case unless it directly correlated with losing specific funders. COVID-19 seems like it could also be an opportunity to close unnecessary offices, dramatically reducing costs.
- This probably means even more browser takeover by chrome
- Vague "pivot to products" talk
- Executive pay keeps going up https://twitter.com/withoutboats/status/1293188958705168384
More and more lately have I been hearing about bunch of weirdos and misfits having their way of exerting power in #debian community. So called Debain oligarchs. This makes me sick and makes me want to distance myself of #debian and it's by-products.
I mean I know there is much higher percentage of weirdos in IT, but WTF #debian!?
Fosstodon is an English speaking Mastodon instance that is open to anyone who is interested in technology; particularly free & open source software.