After adding some bypass capacitors and fixing some forgotten nets, I confirm basic ROM, RAM, and I/O work on the new board. Next, I'll add the RS-232 hardware and test.

Show thread

Power distribution wraps are done. The fat wires bring power in from the supply to the board center with 10uf bulk decoupling cap. I brought power from the center to each IC, and also connected some of the ICs' power pins together. Maybe this is overkill.

Board layout is planned. Just waiting on a few more WW headers and sockets to arrive before I start building.

The new board is here. Still waiting for WW wire and sockets to begin.

I'm up to 7 breadboards and 11 ICs. The scope shows how sloppy the clock signal gets as it goes over long wires from the oscillator to the I/O and sound chips. I've seen no functional problems at 1 MHz system clock, in spite of this.

Show thread

This 65C02 computer circuit has outgrown breadboard construction. There are 5 chips on the top right almost completely hidden by bus cables. I'm not yet ready for PCB. Starting next week, I'll move this to wire wrap on a perfboard. Wire wrap supplies are ordered and on the way.

I made my first prototype music player for my f1 6502 machine. The audio hardware is a single SN7 for now. I'm quitting for now and will continue next Friday.

Now that I have desktop -> 6502 serial program transfer working, I can test code much more quickly. Time to start working on LCD display routines.

Looks like the display memory is mapped funny, so the auto-increment feature goes from line 1, to 3, to 2, to 4. I'll need to manage the display memory manually.

Working with some instruction timings with a small Python script I made for this purpose.

Implemented basic 2-way communication between my desktop and a microcontroller using the w65c51/max232. Now that I understand these chips, the next thing is to add support for them to the emulator for my 6502 machine. Then I'll write and test the serial port routines before moving it all over to hardware again.

Show thread

Basic communication my desktop serial port and the MAX232E, as decoded with my cheap logic analyzer.

Working with the MAX232E today. One of the next things I want to implement on my 6502-based computer is a serial port. This would let me update its program from my desktop computer.
The desktop's serial port will use ~12V logic signals. Since I'm working with TTL/CMOS, I'll use the MAX232E to convert between 12V/5V.

I took a bit of pride in my home network this morning. Got all that cable slack off the floor and each one bundled before it reaches the (newly installed) patch panel. I'd like to neaten up the device CAT5 routing too, but I only have a handful of devices, so it's not critical. It would be fun to build a rack one day, but I'm not sure if I'll ever use devices to need one.

Rough demo of the first feature I want to add to C: automatic header file generation. The source .fc file on the left shows the "pub" keyword used to indicate functions that need header file declarations. This file compiles to valid .c and .h files.

Early work on parsing nested expressions. This concludes my parser work for the weekend.

Show thread

Coming pretty close to parsing a "Hello, world" C program.

Show thread
Show more

Fosstodon is an English speaking Mastodon instance that is open to anyone who is interested in technology; particularly free & open source software.