Wow, we did not expect the level of interest you all have had in the #PineTime!
- Cost will be approximately 25USD
- Charging dock included in price
- Built-in heartbeat monitor
- Case built of Zinc alloy and plastic
- Battery life measured in days
- Sorry, can't run Linux itself. SoC is nRF52832, which uses a Cortex-M4 core. That's why we need FreeRTOS :)
@PINE64 is it not possible to port Linux?
It is not a relatively simple matter of porting it. The Cortex M cores are microcontrollers, and are much simpler than the Cortex A series.
In particular, they do not have a memory management unit (MMU), which is necessary for normal Linux.
There is a variant of Linux (uCLinux) which technically works on the Cortex M cores, but the chip we are using likely does not have enough RAM, and uCLinux seems to be a dead project as far as I can tell.
Fosstodon is an English speaking Mastodon instance that is open to anyone who is interested in technology; particularly free & open source software.