"Getting people to value privacy is like trying to get somebody raised on Burger King to value their heath. They won't know how important it is until they have that first stroke."
Possibly the best thing to come out of #lounge:privacytools.io
I didn't like Brave before, but today a friend told me about Brave's CEO. This is (imo) the definitive reason of why Brave shouldn't be used.
I didn't know that their CEO was the co-founder of Mozilla, that guy that was (and is) against same sex marriage and that's an antimasker, Brendan Eich. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Eich
Day 3 with
@mobian on my #PinePhone from
@PINE64 went really smoothly. I am very excited about the #Mobian community edition that was launched today as well. Trying to decide if I should buy the upgraded version or stick with my braveheart 😬 💸 😅
We are absolutely thrilled to announce that @PINE64 is releasing a Mobian Community Edition of the #pinephone! This is a major milestone for our project, which started less than a year ago as a way to bring Debian to this
10$ of each device sold will be donated to @mobian. See more soon about this on our blog at
- #PinePhone keyboard progress update
- #PineTalk podcast in Feb
- New #PINE64 website is now up
- #PineTime software news
- Red #Pinecil & firmware update
and much more!
If you are looking for a privacy-friendly alternative to Facebook Events, you might want to check out Mobilizon:
It's a free open source federated events platform, and is part of the Fediverse as it uses the ActivityPub protocol.
Because it's still new, it currently only federates between Mobilizon instances. You can't follow Mobilizon instances from Mastodon yet, however this is planned for the future.
I completed my first day using the #PinePhone full-time today. Or at least as full time as possible. There were some things I had to figure out, but overall I feel like after a year of owning this phone and tinkering with it, it's nearly to a point where it'll be daily driveable soon.
There's been lots of talk about "moving forward" and “healing" among Republicans. Here's how to help if you're sincere.
1. Say out loud that America had a free and fair election in November. Point out that Republicans won on the same ballots as Democrats.
2. Acknowledge that Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the election and will be President and Vice President. Say that, for the good of the country, you wish them the best.
3. Show you understand that on Wednesday the U.S. Capitol and legislative branch of our government was violently attacked by right-wing domestic terrorists. This may not be your fault (unless you are Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, or one of the others who helped incite this attack) but you can make a huge difference by condemning it.
4. Urge all people to stay away from and not participate in violent demonstrations in Washington D.C. and state capitols so that we can honor the peaceful transfer of power that is the hallmark of our democracy.
Thanks in advance.
Quick post about starting a week of using my #PinePhone every day
Fielding questions as to why I left mainstream social media from family members has been entertaining thus far. Their eyes glaze over as soon as I start talking about "fundamental right of privacy."
Well what did you expect asking the Bitcoin lunatic in your family why they made a choice on the internet? 😂
Husband of one, father of two. Lover of technology.
Fosstodon is an English speaking Mastodon instance that is open to anyone who is interested in technology; particularly free & open source software.